Block Right Click

Monday, December 16, 2013

Coopers Hawk


A Coopers Hawk lurks in the shrubs near the backyard bird feeders.

Nikon D300 | Sigma 150-500mm f/5-6.3 APO DG OS


Yesterday afternoon, I heard a loud thump against my sun-room window. I knew it had to be a bird, so I ran to the window to see if it needed help or if it was going to be okay. I looked high, I looked low. I looked in the bush, I looked in the tree. All searches came up empty. As I was about to give up, a fluttering of feathers caught my eye. I quickly opened the window and stuck my head out to see beyond the bush. There in the snow, on her side, struggling to right herself, was a wounded Mourning Dove. Being the bleeding heart I am for all critters, especially birds, I really thought she looked like she needed help. At that moment, a Coopers Hawk flew into a nearby tree. Feeling certain that was bad news for the wounded dove, I jumped into my sneakers and rushed out the door to save her. Just as I was bending down to scoop her up in my hands, the dove righted herself, fluttered to life and flew right past me. Hearing the fluttering of its wings, the hawk flew to the wounded dove and whisked her away in its claws. I personally think the  little dove would have been better off in my hands... but then again, who's to say the hawk didn't rush her right over to the veterinarian.

No comments:

Post a Comment