Block Right Click

Friday, May 3, 2013

Northern Mockingbird


This Mockingbird is keeping a very close eye on me, just in case I get any funny ideas about steeling the very food I set out for him! Yes, he is every bit as intimidating as he looks! 



My own personal Mockingbird. This birds' sole purpose in life is to aggravate me! Mockingbirds are extremely territorial. It is very unusual to see more than one mockingbird unless they are briefly sparring for territory. I have no idea whether this is a male or a female, but it chases damn near everything away from the 10 feeders I have located in the back yard. The woodpeckers and Blue Jays don't seem to be overly bothered by the Mockingbird, but the Cardinals, Blackbirds, Nuthatches, Titmice, Wrens and Chickadees are always sure targets for this evil bird. Mockingbirds have even been known to defend their food source from squirrels, though I've not seen them do that here. Just last week a second Mockingbird has appeared and I assume, from observing their behavior that they are a mated pair. I have read that Mockingbird pairs defend separate food sources in winter, so perhaps that is why I have not seen the other until recently. Despite its ill-natured personality, the Mockingbird is a very beautiful, entertaining bird to watch.




2 comments:

  1. Denise,
    The mockingbird is a pretty bird. What do they sound like?

    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Short series of "check"s and similar to a cat hissing when chasing off other birds:)

      Delete