Block Right Click

Thursday, October 17, 2013

American Kestrel

An American Kestrel (male) sits on a wire above a field in southern Indiana.The American Kestrel is one of my absolute favorite birds (I know I say that about a lot of birds), but I never get tired of this one. I have been known to sit and watch (even chase) this bird for many miles and many hours. I've even had vivid dreams of this colorful bird. Their slate blue wings contrast beautifully with their bright rusty brown backs.The two black facial lines are its best identifying marks. From this perch, high above the field, the Kestrel can easily spot small prey (rodents, insects, reptiles, bats and smaller birds) before swooping in for the kill. While often referred to as a "Sparrow Hawk", the American Kestrel is not a hawk at all; rather it is North America's smallest falcon. Linton, Indiana. October 2013.

Nikon D7100 | Sigma 150-500mm f/5-6.3 APO DG OS

No comments:

Post a Comment