Block Right Click

Thursday, January 3, 2013

Northern Flicker

The Northern Flicker coming in for a bite to eat as a small sparrow checks out the colorful show!

The Northern Flickers in all of these photos are Yellow-shafted Flickers  (a red-shafted group exists in the west, but I have never seen one myself). All of the Flickers in these photos are males. Despite my best efforts I have been unable to locate any photos of the female. I will add a photo of the female as soon as I locate one! The female looks very similar but without the black mustache! 


A European Starling underestimates the Northern Flicker, but the Starling is no match for this hungry Flicker.


 The Northern Flicker eliminates the Starling with its eyes closed and both wings metaphorically tied behind its back.


A little trivia for you:
The Northern Flicker has zygodactyl feet which are common to many woodpeckers, though I'm guessing not the Three-toed Woodpecker :)  Zygodactyl feet have two forward facing toes and two rump facing toes. Zygo (yoked pair) and Dactyl ( finger, toe, digit).


The Northern Flicker is quite shy. Unlike the downy woodpecker that will hang around while you are filling the feeders, the Northern Flicker will disappear if it sees you. They  can be quite elusive, but easier to photograph in winter when they are more inclined to visit feeders. During other seasons they are more likely to be found foraging on the ground. 

I read somewhere once about how long a woodpeckers tongue was, but I really never imagined this! I doubt I got this shot off at full extension either. I've got to find that article again to see what it said. This is a shot you probably don't see too often! Enjoy! 

Enjoying the suet.

The most distinctive features of this bird are its bright white rump obvious when flying, its red crescent shape on the back of its neck and the yellow under-lining wings and tail (most visible in flight). 

All above photos were shot using:
Nikon D300 | Sigma 150-500mm f/5-6.3 APO DG OS | Vangaurd Alta 263 AP Tripod | Barronett Grounder 350 Hunting Blind.


This Flicker is enjoying the morning at Hopewell Rocks, New Brunswick.

Nikon D300 | Nikon AF-S VR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 IF-ED





5 comments:

  1. I thought your shots of the Carolina wren were fantastic until I saw this! These are absolutely amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Unfortunately those are probably going to be hard photos to beat. The colors of the Northern Flicker are truly impressive.

      Delete
  2. Spectacular pictures keep up the good work. I love the lessons. I cant wait to get a bluebirs lesson this coming spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah! The Eastern Blue Bird? One of my favorites! I have had great difficulty photographing that bird. That gives me something to work on this spring. I'll need to dig up the one and only photo I have ever successfully shot of the Bluebird!

      Delete
  3. Wow! That is a very beautiful bird and the action photography is really excellent.

    ReplyDelete