Block Right Click

Thursday, August 9, 2012

The Original Big Gulp

* Don't scroll down any further than the 5 underlined question marks at the bottom of the last paragraph, or you will spoil the story! Scroll down only after you've finished reading at the question marks!

When I was a little girl we didn't have big TV's, game systems, DVD players or even VCR's. Back in the day most children actually played outdoors. Can you imagine? I liked playing football, baseball and home-run derby with the boys. We would play outside all day long, coming in the house only at the end of a quarter or halftime for drinks. The problem was that my mom was pretty strict about kids running in and out of the house. Quite frequently I would get yelled at for running in to get a drink of water. I can remember mom yelling "if you come in this house one more time, you're staying in". Oh no! Not that! Anything but staying in the house. 

We lived in a two story, 3 bedroom house, with a basement that was partially above ground. The upper level of the house over hung the basement by a couple feet creating some well needed shade on a hot day. The backside of the basement, under that overhang, had windows right at ground level. 

On one particular day I had been yelled at several times and couldn't go in the house anymore. It was a hot summer afternoon and I was really thirsty, but not willing to risk staying indoors. Instead of jeopardizing the football game, I walked around the back of the house to get a drink from the water spigot, when all of a sudden I saw it. "My lucky stars, a bowl!" I thought that would be much easier to get a drink than cupping my hands, so I filled the little bowl with water and sat down in the shade to cool off. I was mid gulp of the second bowl full when I heard a loud banging on the basement window, causing me to spill the water down my chin and neck. I looked up from my water bowl to see my mother screaming something inaudible through the glass. What was she saying I wondered, as I tipped the bowl once again. Bang, bang, bang, on the window, she continued. Undeterred, I tipped the bowl for another big gulp, but just then the window popped open. "Get in this house right now!" I finished my water and headed for the door. I was really confused. She told me I couldn't come in the house anymore but now she was yelling for me to get in the house. What is wrong with grown-ups, I pondered. When I got in the house I got my britches paddled for drinking from ?????










You guessed it! The dog bowl!











2 comments:

  1. Now that was funny. I know why I say you have a brain like a beagle now...I apologize to any beagles that feel insulted, that story is almost as good as the dog poop story. I hope you'll find a way to blog about it someday...
    I'm still confused as to why your mom was mad about you drinking out of the dog bowl....I'm guessing she thinks we wash the dinner plates after the dogs clean them up!?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, no! That's not it at all. My mother knows the dinner plates are cleaner when the dogs clean them than when you do!
    That greatly anticipated story is in the works! Stay tuned!

    ReplyDelete