Block Right Click

Thursday, August 2, 2012

Kindness and Forgiveness


As you may know, a gas station parking lot can, at times, become a very congested and dangerous place. In such situations it is best to have a navigator on board to assist in the maneuverings of large vehicles thru such tight areas. Not too long ago, I was attempting just such a stratagem, at a bustling gas station just off the interstate on the cities south side. In hindsight, the space I was attempting to navigate was not large enough to accommodate my beefy truck. Unfortunately, this fact did not present itself, until after this humiliating event unfolded.


Me: Am I going to make it?

Navigator: Yep, you're good!

Me: Are you sure?

Navigator: Yes! Go!

Me: You're positive?

Navigator: Uh huh!

Me: It doesn't look like it to me!

Navigator: It's fine. Go!


So I proceeded to maneuver, with the grace of a 5 year old on a Big Wheel,  thru the maze of cars at the pumps. Everything seemed fine and then, all of a sudden......THUMP!

I glance over to the passengers side window, right where my navigator is sitting, to see that the mirror of the truck has nailed the door of a small sedan next to us, forcing me to metaphorically pull the little blue brake handle on my Big Wheel. The sedan door, henceforth in slow motion, struck the well dressed, old gentleman, causing him to sprawl out across the roof of the car awkwardly as the soft cushion region of his slacks absorbed the blow. I think he exaggerated the impact, for dramatic presentation. He should be nominated for The Drama Desk Award for Outstanding One-Person Show.

My monologue, to my visually impaired navigator, that followed could be typed entirely with the shift key and the symbols located on the numbers keys of your keyboard! So I will leave that part on the cutting room floor.

After my obscenities had cleared the air, I lowered the passenger window and apologized to the gentleman, who despite being a drama queen, had a very amiable disposition. We exchanged pleasantries and friendly gestures and parted ways. Not sure I would have been as pleasant had the roles been reversed, but I thank you Mr. Gentleman, whoever you are, for teaching me something about kindness and forgiveness that day!

4 comments:

  1. Ouch! Lucky you "getting" such a gentleman. I would probably have enjoyed the floor show before his natural grace reasserted itself

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah! I see I worded that part poorly! I have now updated that part of the blog. To be clear, it was my monologue not his. He was a perfect gentleman! A little dramatic, but kind, polite and forgiving!

      Delete
  2. You are so in trouble, I would love to know who you had navigating that dat because I know you aren't talking about me....LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah perhaps the reason for my visual impairment has come out...I need to put my glasses on. also the reason for my typos. Glad you have your secret decoder ring

    ReplyDelete