Block Right Click

Thursday, September 6, 2012

Camping at Tim Hortons



So I actually went up into the mountains yesterday and became so sick (motion sickness) that I had to turn around and come back to town. I made it as far as French Mountain to the whale watch overlook, which is not but a hop skip and a jump from the park entrance.Would have still had the MacKenzie Mountain, the North Mountain and the South Mountain to conquer before even making it to the road out to Meat Cove. I thought I would stop at Macintosh Campground, but ultimately I was too sick to continue. I turned around and came down. I tried to reach a park ranger at the visitors center to get a message to the boys, but the visitor center closed just before I got there. Came back in town and stopped at the Tim Hortons restaurant (free wifi). Sent an email message to Scott and David, but I doubt they had internet access last night. I spoke with several of the locals who worked at the restaurant and they were genuinely concerned for me. The people here are so honestly kind it is awesome. I ordered a sandwich and took a last trip to the ladies room before Hortons closed at 10:00pm and the gal tossed two cake donuts into my sandwich bag and a large bowl of meat fat (she said) for Nyxy, but that bowl was filled with wonderful thick white chunks of turkey....Nyxy enjoyed every bite. Once the restaurant closed I moved the truck around back of the building because it offered protection from the wind on all four sides. As you can see from the photo there is a three sided hill where they excavated the lot to build the restaurant and the building directly in front of the truck. It seriously reduced the wind and I slept very well in the back of the truck waking this morning to the sound of the voice on the drive thru speaker.

View looking down on parking lot from the top of the hill.

View from the north side. Notice how well protected from the wind.

Before I moved to the back of the building I was honestly afraid the entire truck was going to be tossed into the Gulf of St. Lawrence. One gal said it was common to see winds 120-160kmph. Yikes! It certainly felt like it last night. Once I settled into this spot I was very comfortable. Thanks to all my new friends who kept me company, messaging on facebook, until nearly midnight last night worried about me...you Canadians are the best!

Well, I should really try to conquer these mountains early enough so that I can get across them once and for all. heading up the west side of Cape Breton Highlands National Park now! 

2 comments:

  1. Good to know you're safe!! I worried all night about you slipping & falling off some mountain.
    I love your pictures. I might have to steal some for my scrapbook room:o)

    Bren -

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! You know better than to worry about me. Mom's got that job covered! I'm in Sydney now.

      Love you!

      Delete